Building no. 88. Constructed in 1904.
The Old Jail was built in 1904. The original guardhouse was once located where the Gateway International Bridge now stands.
In 1906, during the “Brownsville Affray” when black soldiers were accused of attacking citizens of Brownsville, there was a guardhouse located where the library now stands. None were imprisoned here.
Robert Runyon photos show Mexican soldiers being escorted to this building, where they were held for several weeks after escaping certain death from Mexican insurgents led by General Lucio Blanco in 1913.
Fort Brown post commander Colonel Blocksom likely avoided trouble by not confining them with American soldiers jailed in the regular guardhouse.
.JPG, 1 Page, 26 x 35 cm
Fort Brown Quartermaster's Ledger, Texas Southmost College, UTRGV Digital Library, The University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley. Accessed via https://scholarworks.utrgv.edu/ftbrown/
Some files may download without file extensions. Please add '.jpg' to the end of the filename to open the file.
Texas--Fort Brown, Texas--Brownsville, 1900-1909, 1920-1929, 1930-1939, 1940-1949, Military camps, Guardhouses, Jails, Records (Documents), Architectural drawings