ELIBR0002-Yacht Club Menu
Download Full Text (9.1 MB)
In 1927, the Yacht Club Hotel was built by a corporation to be used as a private club. The original membership consisted of the most prominent Rio Grande Valley families with members from Laredo, Rio Grande City and San Antonio. It had a marina at that time, and was a very active club for the social and weekend gatherings of South Texas society. When the crash of 1929 came, Mr. Shary of Sharyland in the Lower Rio Grande Valley bought out the original members and opened the doors to the public. For many years it retained its reputation as being "the" place to eat while at the beach, and was visited by such important personages as Charles A. Lindberg and ex-Governor Shivers.
.PDF, 2 Pages, 10 MB
John H. Shary Collection, UTRGV Digital Library, The University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley