Download (95 KB)
Typed document. History of the Kelwood Company, buildings they designed in the following cities: San Antonio, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Kerrville, and Stamford, and newspaper citations.
Kelwood Company (c. 1923-1930) was a firm that both designed and built residential and commercial buildings. Partners in the firm were attorney and financier Arthur A. Seeligson, architect Robert B. Kelly, and builder H. C. Wood. Robert Bertram Kelly (1893-1932) began his architectural career in 1912 as a draftsman for [San Antonio architect] H. A. Reuter. He moved to the A. A. Herff Company [architect] in 1914, returning briefly to Reuter’s firm in 1917. After serving as Henry T. Phelps’s draftsman in 1918, Kelly entered in partnership with Harvey P. Smith in 1919, an association that lasted until c. 1922. The Kelwood Company was first listed in the 1926 San Antonio City Directory (there are no directories for 1923-25), advertising their work in architecture, construction, and financing. Seeligson served as president, Kelly as vice president, and Wood as secretary/treasurer. The firm appears to have functioned until 1930, perhaps impacted by the Depression. Kelly practiced alone in 1931, and in 1932, he committed suicide.
.PDF, 7 Pages
Missouri Pacific Brownsville Depot Collection (BLIBR-0003). UTRGV Digital Library, The University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley